Creamy Vanilla Frosting
this recipe is from Magnolia. ( More from Magnolia: Recipes from the world-Famous Bakery and Magnolia's Home Kitchen)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a medium-size saucepan, whisk the flour into the milk until smooth. Over low medium heat stirring constantly, cook until the mixture becomes very thick and begins to bubble, 10-15 minutes. Set on the side and let it cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- In the bowl with medium high speed of an electric mixer, beat the butter in about 3 minutes, until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the sugar, beating continuously in about 3 minutes until fluffy. Add the vanilla and beat well.
- Add the cooled milk mixture( can't be too warm so the batter won't melt and can't be to cold ) , and continue to beat on the medium high speed in about 5 minutes, until very smooth and noticeably whiter in color. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes( Not more or less , set the timer ! ) . Use immediately. Can safe it up for a day.