“A Mexican Restaurant with a Colorful, Contemporary/Retro Twist ”
Since 2015, Rojo Gusano, located in the North-Park area has served elevated, yet simple Latin American street food with a spin on it. They also boast full bar service. The restaurant design is inspired by Mexican street cafés with some cool-fun art pieces on the wall and Raynor Glass Garage Doors installed in front of the building which creates an inviting vibe.
They are celebrating their second year anniversary in the month of December. Congratulations to Rojo Gusano!
Now let’s talk about their food. The house-made tortillas are made with fresh masa. They are served as chips to eat with salsa and variety of guacamole. And there is no question about their tacos and how good it is when you eat a taco with a fresh tortilla shell.
Here are all the menu items that I had tried: (*highly recommended)
We started off our Friday night with cocktails along with some starter Empanadas, Tamales (is it Tamal or tamales) de Queso con Rajas, their Guacamole flight, and fresh salsa with chips.
- Empanadas: Beef*, Portobello Mushroom, and Shrimp Tinga.
- Tamale de Queso con Rajas: Epazote, house-made Crema, Farmer's Cheese
Guacamole flight: Each one of them are delicious. I really enjoyed the Spicy Pumpkin Seed as it has a great texture from the pumpkin seeds with a mild sweetness from pineapple.
- Spicy Pumpkin Seed*: Chipotle and Caramelized Pineapple.
- Fiery Habanero: Radish and Mango.
- Serrano Pico de Gallo: Serrano Pepper, Onion, Tomato, and Cilantro.
Salsa: I love very spicy, So this section I would give all the stars to
the Verde which is the spiciest from the three of them.
• Borracha: Pasilla Mije Pepper, Mezcal, and Orange Juice.
• Verde*: Serrano, cilantro, and tomatillo.
• De Arbol: Cider Vinegar, Sesame Seed, and Pumpkin Seed.
Tacos: Each taco comes as the perfect size, The tortilla shell is not as big as commercially made tortillas, but they are loaded with their fillings. Everything that comes with Carne Asada and beef from this place is good. The Korean BBQ Beef (Won Best Taco at Taste of Chicago 2017), Braised Short Rib, and Mixed Mushroom are my favorites from this category.
- Korean BBQ Beef*: Marinated beef, Kimchi, Cilantro, Sesame Seeds, and Radish.
- Chicken Tinga: Roasted Tomato, house-made Morita Chile Salsa,
house-made Crema, Radish, and Farmer's Cheese.
- Pork Adobo*: Achiote, Habanero, and Red Onion Relish.
- Braised Short Rib*: Ropa Vieja Style, Onions, Borracha Salsa, and Radish.
- Mixed Mushroom*: Pasilla Mije-Tomatillo Salsa and Oaxaca Cheese.
- Charred Butternut Squash: Kale, Farmer's Cheese, and Cascabel-Tomatillo Salsa.
- Brussels sprouts and potatoes.
Chocolate Tamale: We had this fun representation of chocolate flourless cake serve with vanilla bean ice cream.
Hi, I am Natty! And Thank you for stopping by!! I am a foodie girl who has a passion for cooking, exercise and photography. There are so many favorite recipes from my family and friends I have tried throughout my journey that balances out and makes a healthy meal. I would like to take you on a journey to a different pantry around the world to share my favorite stories and recipes. My hope is that they inspire and benefit you.
"Anytime there is Mexican food around, you can bet I’ll be eating it,"